Neurological rehabilitation of children is an area of medical rehabilitation for patients under 12 years of age. It involves treatment of the consequences of diseases and injuries of the central nervous system. In order for the neurological rehabilitation for children to produce the expected results, it should be preceded by a thorough diagnosis provided by a paediatric neurologist. In this way, despite the injury or birth defects, children are given a chance to live a normal life.
The central nervous system, which is treated in the course of neurological rehabilitation, has an extremely important function in the body. For instance, it is responsible for the sense of feeling, speech, motor coordination, and unconditioned reflexes. In the case of the youngest patients, neurological problems may be the result of many factors: pregnancy problems, taking certain medicines by the child, complications developed after a disease or complications during childbirth. Such problems manifest themselves in psychomotor disorders which are diagnosed and treated by paediatric neurologists.
At ENEL-SPORT centres, you will be consulted by a paediatric neurologist and given neurological therapy adapted to the needs and the age of your child.
Neurological children rehabilitation
When to visit a therapist?
Children should be given neurological rehabilitation as soon as the first symptoms of neurological problems, such as the following, are observed:
- light sleep or difficulty falling asleep,
- problems during feeding (e.g. frequent burping)
- excessive anxiety reactions when changing nappies, changing body position or hearing a sudden noise,
- excessive calmness (e.g. no interest in toys, no reaction to faces of people the child knows),
- trembling of limbs and chin, apnoea, convulsions,
- asymmetrical body position, tensing of the muscles of limbs and trunk, bending of the head,
- difficulty or reluctance of the child to maintain a stomach-lying position at 3 months of age,
- excessive or reduced muscle tone,
- ballet position of the feet, clenched fists with thumbs kept inside,
- preferring one side for lying or turning the head.
Some of the child’s defects can be detected during prenatal tests or shortly after birth – in this case it is worth making an appointment with a doctor who will assess the child’s psychomotor development and decide on possible rehabilitation.
During neurological rehabilitation of children at ENEL-SPORT, you can be given a functional diagnosis – e.g. the Zebris-Pointer system for assessing postural symmetry or Zebris WIN-FDM baropodometry platform for evaluating load distribution and gait analysis.
During therapeutic sessions, the child is accompanied by their parents or caregivers. You do not need a referral for your child to be given neurological rehabilitation.
Neurological rehabilitation of children: What does the therapy look like?
Neurological rehabilitation of children at ENEL-SPORT centres has two stages: the first session during which the child’s motor development is evaluated, and therapeutic sessions. Qualified specialists work with young patients to ensure the safety of the child and a comfortable atmosphere of meetings. For you first visit, it is worth taking the following:
- a document confirming the identity of the child (e.g. a student ID card),
- the child’s current medical records,
- a referral from a doctor (if any).
In the case of infants below 1 year of age, the specialist will diagnose the disease by taking a history from the child’s parent and on the basis of information about past diseases, motor activity problems and child care. They will also observe spontaneous motor activity of the child and then establish objectives of therapy and make a decision on its form. In the case of older children, aged 1–12 years, the specialist will also evaluate the child’s posture when standing and moving, muscle tone, muscle strength and motor coordination.
Subsequent neurological rehabilitation sessions involving exercises may last 30, 45 or 60 minutes (depending on the child’s needs and condition). Parents will also be informed about the exercises they can do with their child at home. The specialist will also discuss with them the child care adapted to their individual needs and supporting their correct development.
During neurological rehabilitation of children, ENEL-SPORT specialists use advanced therapeutic methods. They include the following:
- Vojta Method – a method of rehabilitation based on reflex locomotion. It activates the brain through stimulation, activating the inborn motor skills of a young patient;
- three-plane manual therapy of the feet – a manual therapy method based on functional development of the feet during infancy, supported by bandaging;
- PNF (Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation) – a method of comprehensive kinesiotherapy, which is based on the neurophysiological basis of locomotor skills;
- Kinesio Taping® – a therapeutic method involving the application of special coloured tapes that improve muscle function and strength or act as an analgesic.
During rehabilitation, we also use elements of other physiotherapeutic methods, which support correct development of the child. Moreover, we offer the following:
- meetings/workshops with specialists on correct development or supporting the development of your child,
- diagnosis consultations on motor development and evaluation of the posture of infants and children under 12 years of age.